Are fireworks allowed in Central City?

  • You may use fireworks purchased in Iowa without a permit on the following dates and times:
    • June 30, July 1, 4, 7, & 8 - 9:00 am-11:00 pm
    • July 2, 3, 5, & 6 - 9:00 am-9:00 pm
    • December 23 - 25 - 9:00am-11:00 pm
    • December 26 - 29 - 9:00 am-9:00 pm
    • December 30 - 9:00am-11:00 pm
    • December 31 - 9:00 am-12:00 am
    • January 1 - 12:00 am-12:30 am
  • If you would like to use fireworks outside these dates and times you must obtain a permit.
  • Can I use fireworks in the street or alley?
    • Only if you obtain a permit from the city council.
  • Can I use fireworks in a city park?
    • Only if you obtain a permit from the city council.
  • Can I use fireworks in an empty lot?
    • Only if you own the lot or obtain written permission from the owner of lot.
  • Can I have alcohol while using fireworks?
    • Fireworks shall not be discharged by persons showing visible signs of, or determined to be, intoxicated or under the influence of a drug or narcotic. The same standards used for operating a motor vehicle will apply.

 When do I need a Building Permit?

A building permit is needed when erecting any addition to a structure, or internal renovations that involve structural changes, and all new construction. Linn County Planning and Development handles all building permits for the city. Click here to go to the county site to apply for a permit.

 When putting up a fence, do I need a City Permit?

  • No BUT it is the homeowners responsibility to know where their property lines are. It is best to have a surveyor or other qualified professional locate your pins and property lines for you.
  • Any fence erected across the lines of the property will need to be removed at the homeowner who erected the fence's expense.
  • The city is not responsible for locating pins or lines.
  • City staff do not have any specific expertise in locating pins and if City staff do assist the homeowner, the city makes no guarantees in the accuracy of the results and assumes no future liability if it is later determined to be incorrect.
  • You should also familiarize yourself with City Code Chapter 165.17 – Fence and Hedge Regulations.
  • Fences, hedges, boulders, posts, walls, barriers and similar objects shall be located so no part thereof is within three feet of any alley or five feet of a street right-of-way.
  • In residential districts, fences within the front yard shall not exceed four feet in height. Fences in the rear yard shall not exceed six feet in height.
  • Visibility at Intersection. On a corner lot in any agricultural or residential district, no fence, wall, hedge or other planting, signs or structure that will obstruct vision between a height of two and one-half feet and 10 feet above the center-line grades of the intersecting streets shall be erected, placed, or maintained within the triangular area formed, the right-of-way lines as such corner and a straight line joining said right-of-way lines at points which are 25 feet distant from the intersection of the right-of-way lines, and measured along the right-of-way lines.

 Who do I need to contact in order to have all my utilities hooked up at my new residences/business in Central City?

  • You will need to stop by City Hall to fill out a Utilities Connection Form for Water, Sewer, and Garbage Service.
  • Garbage Services are provided by Rudd Sanitation through a city utilities contract.  Please see their website for details.  https://www.ruddsanitationinc.com/central-city
  • Please take a look at this link, telling you what can and can't be recycled. https://www.solidwasteagency.org/recycling/household-recyclables
  • Paper, Plastic, and Metal may be mixed if it meets the requirements of the Linn County solid waste agency.
  • Cardboard must be bundled and separate.
  • Glass and plastic single use bags can no longer be collected curbside.
  • Glass can be taken to the Linn County solid waste agency recycling center at 1954 County Home Road.
  • Single use plastic bags will NOT be accepted at the Linn County solid waste agency recycling center at 1954 County Home Road.
  • If you have any questions, please call 319-438-6563
  • Other providers can be found on this page. Helpful Links

 I would like to put a swimming pool in our yard... do I need a fence?

No, City Ordinances do not require a fence to enclose a pool area, but you may wish to contact your insurance company as it may be required per your policy.

 There is a street light out, where do I report that?

Contact Alliant Energy at 1-800-255-4268 and follow the prompts or report to Alliant Energy online.

 If you would like to address the Mayor and/or City Council at a City Council meeting...

Contact the City Clerk, 319-438-1713, no later than 4:00 p.m. the Friday proceeding the Wednesday of the meeting. If you have information you would like the Mayor and/or Council to review prior to the meeting it must be received by the City Clerk per the above deadline as well.

 We're new to the State of Iowa, where do I get a new driver's license?

In Iowa you can go to any county's office for DMV services, the offices in Manchester (Delaware County) and Anamosa (Jones County) have much faster service than the Linn County office in Cedar Rapids.

 How do I register to vote?

Voter's Registration form can be found in official Qwest Telephone book or click above.

 What do I need to do if I would like to run for Mayor or City Council?

  • Per State Code, Section 376.1, a city shall hold a regular city election on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November of each odd-numbered year.  A Nomination Petition can be obtained at the City Clerk's office, usually by mid-August, per State Code, Section 376.4.
  • The petition must be filed not more than seventy-one days and not less than forty-seven days before the date of election, and must be signed by the eligible electors equal ion number to at least two (2) percent of those who voted to fill the same office at the last regular city election, bu not less than ten (10) persons per State Code , Section 376.4.
  • Nomination petitions shall be filed not later than five (5) o'clock p.m. on the last day for filing per State Code, Section 376.4.

 Have a problem with alcohol?

Contact Iowa Alcoholics Anonymous. The AA Iowa meetings are based on an effective, self-supporting approach to problematic drinking. In addition, AA Iowa provides a localized support system that influences sobering behavior changes that members desire. Receive the extra support to stop drinking by seeking a nearby Alcoholics Anonymous meeting in Iowa, and embrace a healthier lifestyle today.

Get Help With Alcohol Addiction. Call now for 24/7 help:

  • Find the best drug rehab centers
  • Access free detox and rehab programs
  • Get 24-hour guidance on starting your recovery

Call 1-800-839-1686

All calls are 100% confidential